Membrane lounge chair is lightweight and eco-friendly
The ‘Membrane’ lounge chair pictured above is a result of teamwork of London based designer Benjamin Hubert and German brand Classicon. This is for the first time a British designer and a German furnishing brand have worked together to come up with a beautiful design object. The eco-design lounge chair is made of lightweight steel and aluminium framework with a stretched 3D woven textile mesh and was launched at Salone del Mobile 2013 in Milan. One of the particular features of this incredible design is its weightlessness, i.e., it weighs only 3 kilograms.
This lounge chair draws reference from the studio’s material driven and process led, industrial design approach. The components that are used for the creation of ‘Membrane’ are more commonly found in the sporting goods industry and tent construction. The shape of this chair is determined by a CNC-shaped stainless steel and aluminum framework, which is then entirely covered by 3D woven textile with integrated padding. Zips and fastenings are used for securing the outer cover to the steel and aluminum frame. The usage of polyurethane foam (a material used to cover the entire conventional armchair) is minimized by amalgamation of padded covering and metal frame, thus decreasing the carbon footprint of this product. You can buy the ‘Membrane’ lounge chair for a cool £1750 (approx US$ 2,661).
Latest posts by Garima (see all)
- Converge docking station can charge four devices at a time - July 28, 2014
- Radis Rocker DON with footrest matches any contemporary decor - July 19, 2014
- Kettal Mesh Collection – Outdoor furniture with a catchy visual contrast - July 18, 2014
- KAST Concrete Knobs provide an industrial look to your existing furniture - July 17, 2014
- Smartphone controlled Monolyth lends your air conditioner an intelligent brain - July 15, 2014