Have you ever wondered how large Italian families actually gather around a table for Christmas? Well, it’s easy. Their “Natale” is all about food. Unknown to popular and common understanding, there is no such thing as “the Italian food tradition;” so every family would have their own specific Italian dishes to eat.
Here are a few rules to navigate Christmas the Italian way for the unknown foreign spectator. Our suggestion is to recreate a domestic gathering with Nifeislife– an Italian delicatessen delivering Italian quality food all around UK. It might just be a fun idea for a weekend with friends.
– Dress up. Fashion and food go together, in Italy they are the basis for religion. Include very comfortable piece of clothing you own, as you will expand over the course of three days.
– Sit comfortably and follow the wine pairing. You start with Prosecco, you finish with Prosecco. All that comes in between is a full wine-tasting and pairing course including the likes of white Gavi di Gavi and red Nero d’Avola or Amarone. You will take a tour of Italian wineries. There are several monthly discounts on wines and focuses on specific wineries. You might want to check their Prunotto offering, in November it is the ideal pairing with truffles.
– Eat fish on the 24th at night. Whether it is because of religious tradition, or because the restaurant gives you the best lobster, most luxurious scallops and ideal fresh tuna, or whether it is because you simply feel like making a pasta sauce with mussels and clams, this is what you do.
– Give an Italian food hamper as a present. This is a typical Italian tradition to show gratitude to doctors, nannies, colleagues, clients. Nifeislife features the somewhat unique option to tailor your own Christmas basket with the food that you prefer.
– Learn the basics of Italian: Antipasti means “starters” and they are NOT a main dish. Bruschetta with lardo and nuts, or fresh mozzarella flown in from Italy on a bed of datterini tomatoes are just a way to introduce your dinner. Not to complete it.
– Finish up with torrone, i.e. nuts hard or soft nougat with different tastes. And Panettone of all sorts – the restaurant features different brands and some artisanal exquisite options. Discover Pandoro for your kids i.e. a soft and buttery cake from Verona. Make a mascarpone cream. Sleep happily ever after.
Any more ideas? Well, an espresso from Kimbo on nifeislife and“ammazzacaffè” i.e. post-coffee digestive liquor such as Amaro Montenegro. And your Christmas the Italian way is sorted.
Keep eating and enjoy Christmas the Italian style!