Clouds are one of the most beautiful creations of the nature. They are mostly associated with weightlessness and emotions – whether happiness, sadness or imagination. Everyone tries to find their favorite character in them. They appear like white cotton balls drifting across the blue sky in slow motion. Continuously changing dimensions and forms make them a perfect source of inspiration for designers seeking out new design ideas. A lamp inspired by the fluffy form of clouds is a great example.
The cloud lamps can be a great centerpiece for any room. They are so cute and beautiful that you will definitely end up buying or creating one.
Here is a collection of some of the most beautiful cloud lamps you can find out there. They seem to be perfect to bring flashes and peals of thunder to any space.
Best Cloud Lamps You will Find Online
1) How about a floating cloud that is actually a Bluetooth speaker and a lamp. It can set your desk alight while playing your favorite music and also floating in air. It is created by Richard Clarkson in collaboration with Studio Crealev. This floating cloud lamp has a built-in Bluetooth speaker and sound-reactive LED lights that deliver close-to-reality visual effect of lightening during thunder. It uses magnetic levitation to float over its oval base.
2) If you are a DIY type, you can try making a cloud lamp by yourself. It is an easy-to-build project that will be attention grabbing object. You can make one with a plastic ball, cotton, and LED lights. Try making one and impress your family members. See the tutorial at CNet.
3) Inspired by clouds, these paper pendant lamps feature unique pattern and shape inspired by origami. Japan-based 24-Degree Studio makes these lampshades from washable and tear proof laminated Japanese rice paper. This lamp collection can add a stylish touch to any living space.
4) Brooklyn-based designer Richard Clarkson has created this audio-visual cloud-shaped pendant lamp. With built-in lights and speaker, it offers a cool lightening effect and roars of a real thunderstorm. Amazing, isn’t it?
5) Designed by Italian architect and designer Mario Bellini for Nemo Lighting, the Nuvola pendant lamp is made of natural opal polyethylene. The shape of cloud helps it creating a dreamy ambiance. In addition, it is a dimmable lamp.
6) Designed by Andreas Hopf and Axel Nordin, this large hanging lamp mimics the shape of a cloud with its bubbled surface. The porcelain pendant lamp also has a patterned brass sheet underside that emits light in a unique pattern that looks like a sliced meteorite. It will look stunning above a dining table.
7) Designed by New York-based Apparatus design Studio, this cloud-shaped pendant lamp is made of a cluster of glass orbs frosted by hand. The central light sources emit a soft glow that is refracted through the cluster of orbs, creating a visually pleasing effect. Available in three versions with different number of glass orbs.
8) Inspired by crumbling paper, Margje Teeuwen in collaboration with Erwin Zwiers has created this uniquely shaped Proplamp. The most interesting thing about this suspension lamp is that it is made of recyclable nonwoven material. It can be reshaped over and over again. Means you can crush it and tailor-make your own lampshade design.
9) Named Cloud, this unique pendant lamp made from refined polyester material that looks like strong fibrous paper. It is designed by Frank Owen Gehry for the Swiss lighting brand Belux. The lamp comprises a paper-like shade with an invisible light source in the center.
Its irregular sculptural shape is achieved by folding the lampshade that looks like a fleecy cloud. These lamps are available in different sizes and models.
10) This project takes on the idea of repurposing old soft toys at home. A DIYer shared an Instructable to make this mushroom cloud lamp from cotton, hard wire, and light bulb. If you like it, then try making one by yourself.
11) French designer Mathieu Lehanneur has made this blown-glass hanging ceiling lamp for Fabbian. Complex steel molds are used to give a cloud-inspired shape to the glass lampshade. The lamp adapts to modern but also classic environments
12) Cloud 9 is a wall-mounted lamp designed by Lilly Ingenhoven for Copenhagen-based lighting company sygns. It is part of the series “Le Petit Prince” that draws inspiration from the same titled book by Antoine de Saint-Exupéry. This cloud-shaped neon light has identical references to characters in the book.
13) This suspension lamp in shape of cloud is designed by Toyo Ito for Italian lighting company Rotaliana. It made by layering 5 thin acrylic sheets cut into amoeba–like shapes. The circular holes cut into the sheets create an empty space that holds the light source.
14) This feathery cloud lamp is designed and produced by Tilen Sepič in 2012. He designed it as part of a open-source workshop project. It is a beautiful ceiling lamp that combines amazing aesthetics with cool functionality.
15) Inspired by the poem of the renowned Chinese poet and writer Xu Zhimo, Zhao Liping has conceived this floorstanding cloud-inspired lamp. It functions as both a hanging and standing lamp.
16) This lighting sculpture by Adamlamp is made from thin 1mm translucent opal polyethylene plastic. Its unique structure consists of several interlinked different triangle elements, triangle mesh system. It provides diffused light that creates pleasant settings.
17) Designed by Wout Wessemius, Le Nuage is a handmade pendant lamp in shape of a cloud. Its exterior is made of polyester wadding, formed in such a way that there is a difference in the light’s translucency. There is a LED-lightbulb surrounded by a casco and specially treated to offer diffuse light with multiple color variations.
18) This is an interactive lighting installation created by Canadian artists Wayne Garrett & Caitlind r.c. Brown (Calgary) at Progress Bar in Chicago. It is constructed from hand-bent steel, reflective mylar, electronics, motion sensors, LEDs, and about 15,000 incandescent light bulbs.
19) It is a hand-sculpted lighting installation made by Graypants at Airbnb headquarters in San Francisco. The cloud chandelier is made of 25,000 ping-pong balls, each attached by hand to make it look like a glowing cloud.
20) Caitlind r.c. Brown & Wayne Garrett have made this interactive light installation. This cloud-shaped sculpture is made of 6,000 incandescent lights!
21) Designed and made in Holland, the Jacob pendant lamp is made of laser-cut Polypropylene triangles. The lampshade is adjustable and you can change the shape by moving the triangles. Each unit has two cords, allowing you to make two smaller lamps.