Nothing but home is the safest haven to unwind yourselves, and you probably never think that your house could be hazardous. This is because you must be doing your best to keep your family and loved ones safe. However, it’s time for a reality check- as there are five hidden hazards that reside with you in your ‘home sweet home.’
Before you start wondering what these dangerous could be, let us be aware you about five hidden dangers in your home and how these can be foiled with simple tips:
Smoke detectors, also known as smoke alarms are important safety devices to save lives and property. There are two types of smoke detectors- ionization and photoelectric. Although there is not much difference in both these units, but the former one uses a small amount of radioactive material to detect large burning particles causing heavy smoke. The radioactive material may start emitting harmful radiation after some time and cause various health related issues. Moreover, these detectors take more time to detect less smoke from ignition sources such as cigarettes, electrical appliances and sparks. Thus, adding more concern to homeowners regarding safety.
Therefore, we recommend opting for the second one i.e. photoelectric detector. This is because it uses a photoelectric sensor to detect the changes caused even by small smoke particles. It can effectively make you aware of short circuits as well as smoke from electrical appliances. Furthermore, the photoelectric detector doesn’t create any harmful effect on humans, as no radioactive element is present in this smoke alarm.
Kitchen gadgets and equipment
Another source for home fire could be cooking equipments. If left unattended or handled carelessly, cooking appliances like stovetops, ovens, portable cooking units and barbecue may cause fire break outs. So, to avoid regretting later you must take care and handle these kitchen gears carefully beforehand.
Unattended cooking is the main reason behind home fires, so start by staying in the kitchen when you’re using the stovetop, checking food frequently when it’s in the oven and don’t keep anything near stove that could catch fire easily.
Carbon monoxide is a toxic colorless and odorless gas, making it hard to detect. This gas can develop in your house through fuel-burning appliances such as stoves, fireplaces, furnaces, water heaters, clothes dryer and automobile exhaust from indoor garages. If it is in low levels within your house, then it may cause headache, disorientation, dizziness, nausea and fatigue. But in very high concentrations it may cause death.
To prevent yourself from such danger, make sure you have carbon monoxide detectors installed throughout your home. Also, ensure regular testing and replacing of their batteries. Fuel burning appliances shall be installed by a certified mechanic and inspected annually. For gas stoves, an exhaust fan shall always be kept vented to the outside.
Although CFL bulbs are the easily available light source, but there are several heal hazards due to these lighting fixtures. These are dangerous due to their mercury content that causes harmful effects on skin after prolonged usage. Moreover, these units also leak certain radiations that are harmful to both skin and eyes.
To prevent yourself and your family from dangers of this light source, try replacing old CFL light bulbs with LED light sources. LEDs are more reliable, energy-efficient and can be used for years to come. On positive side, it doesn’t have any harmful side-effects on your health.
Paint on walls can transform a space into something contemporary that is more suited to your lifestyle. But do you know paint could be potentially harmful to your health? Lead-based paints in 1970s were considered the most toxic ones, causing lead poisoning. Ever since then, lead-based paints are banned in certain countries. However, nowadays paint containing Volatile Organic Compounds (VOC) are causing short or long term adverse health effects. This is because due to volatile nature, chemicals in paints may evaporate and mix in the air you inhale.
To avoid such risky conditions, always check what paint you’re selecting for your home. The paint must have low or no VOC content for safety issues. Also make sure you always buy good quality paint for your home without any harmful chemical substances.
With these simple tips you can make your home free from unwanted health hazards and feel completely safe in your house without even a single doubt. If you are aware of any other hidden danger and have some apt solution to cure it, then feel free to share your thoughts with us.